Nutrition StrategiesGood nutrition and physical activity are two of the keys to good health. There are several nutrition strategies to reduce the risk of chronic disease and to maintaining a healthy weight. It’s more than just will power---your community, your school and your worksite all must support good nutrition and physical activity by:
- Improving access to healthy foods
- Making it easier to eat healthy foods
- Providing opportunities to participate in healthy activities
- Providing sound and accurate messages in campaigns and communications to different groups of people.
The Upper Missouri District Health Unit strives to work at all of these levels to:
- Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Increase physical activity
- Increase breastfeeding
- Reducing the consumption of high energy dense foods
- Decreasing the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages
- Decreasing television viewing
FactsDid you know: Over 66% of North Dakotans are overweight or obese?
Over 78% of North Dakotans consume less than five servings of fruits & vegetables?
Over 53% of North Dakotans are not participating in moderate physical activity?
Our nutrition strategies strive to help North Dakotans become healthier by making healthy food choices and increasing their physical activity.